Today, the Government publishes its joint Spending Review and Autumn Statement.
The Spending Review sets how the Government will spend public money over the course of the Parliament, including on government departments and key services.
Hospice UK is a member of the End of Life Care Coalition, which has been calling for funding improvements for end of life care ahead of the Spending Review.
Commenting in response to the Spending Review, Jonathan Ellis, Director of Policy and Advocacy at Hospice UK, said:
“We are disappointed that the Chancellor has not earmarked specific additional funding for palliative and end of life care in England.
“Greater investment in end of life care would increase both the choice and quality of care and also lead to more efficient services, especially in helping reduce costly hospital admissions.
“Report after report has highlighted what needs to change in the delivery of palliative and end of life care. However this needs to be backed up by funding and leadership.
“We urge the Government to make end of life care a priority for the additional NHS investment, and to use the Mandate to NHS England for 2016 – 2020 to demonstrate its commitment to improving end of life care, to ensure that everyone with a terminal illness gets the best possible support.”
Notes to editor
- Hospice UK is a member of the End of Life Care Coalition – a group of seven charities who work together to call for better quality care and support for those approaching the end of their lives. http://endoflifecampaign.org.
- Hospice UK is the national charity for hospice care and the only membership body for organisations providing hospice care. We support and champion the work of more than 200 of these organisations across the UK.
- Hospices, and other organisations which provide hospice care, offer vital care for people with terminal or life-limiting conditions and also support their families and carers.
- For further information about hospice care follow us on Twitter @hospiceukPA.
- Get all the latest news from the hospice and palliative care sector, as well as patient stories, on ehospice UK at: www.ehospice.com/uk This service is managed by Hospice UK. You can also follow ehospice news on Twitter at @ehospicenews.
Please contact Suzanne Stevenson on 020 7520 8296 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org For out of hours media enquiries please call 07881 940 318.