Commenting on the New Year’s Honours List 2017, which includes several individuals from the hospice and end of life care sectors, Tracey Bleakley, Chief Executive of Hospice UK, said:
"We are delighted that people who have made such an impressive contribution to hospice and end of life care have been recognised in the 2017 New Year’s Honours List.
"We offer our congratulations to everyone, each honour is greatly deserved.
“It is wonderful to see the commitment and dedication of all those who help support vital care for people with life-limiting conditions and their families acknowledged in this way.”
Recipients from the hospice and end of life care sectors:
- Matilda Maud Kyle received a BEM (British Empire Medal) for voluntary services to the Northern Ireland Hospice. (Newtownabbey, Antrim)
- Jane Rodwell Middleton from Chilmark received a BEM (British Empire Medal) for services to the community in the village, which includes her efforts volunteering with the Salisbury Hospice for more than 20 years.
- Lynda Catherine Gould, Co-Founder Butterfly Children’s Hospices, China received an MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) in the Foreign Secretary’s overseas list, for her services to the provision of palliative care to babies and infants in China.
- Dr Helen Jayne Livingstone. Specialist Palliative Care consultant. Airedale NHS Foundation Trust is awarded an MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) For services to End of Life Healthcare. (Shipley, West Yorkshire)
- Professor Keri Vivien THOMAS Founder and National Clinical Lead, The National Gold Standards Framework Centre in End of Life Care received an OBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) for services to End of Life Care.
- Kenneth Hoskisson, Chair of The Walton Centre NHS Foundation Trust and also Chair of Woodlands Hospice, was awarded an MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) for services to the NHS and voluntary service to End of Life Patients.
Kevin Jones, a former trustee of St Catherine’s Hospice in Preston received an MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) for voluntary service in the north west of England, in particular for St Catherine's Hospice where he served as a volunteer and then as a trustee. He has given more than 30 years of unpaid service to the hospice.
The full list of recipients can be found at gov.uk
Notes to Editor:
- Hospice UK is the national charity for hospice care and the only membership body for organisations providing hospice care. We support and champion the work of more than 200 of these organisations across the UK.
- Hospices, and other organisations which provide hospice care, offer vital care for people with terminal or life-limiting conditions and also support their families and carers.
- For further information about hospice care visit our website www.hospiceuk.org or follow us on Twitter @hospiceukPA.
- Get all the latest news from the hospice and palliative care sector, as well as patient stories, on ehospice UK. This service is managed by Hospice UK. You can also follow ehospice news on Twitter at @ehospicenews
Please contact Suzanne Stevenson, Head of Media and PR, on 020 7520 8296 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For out of hours media enquiries please call 07881 940 318.