Today the Care Quality Commission (CQC) publishes The state of hospice services in England 2014-2017 report.
It shows that hospice care across England has the highest percentage of services rated ‘Outstanding’,
A quarter of hospices (25 per cent) are rated as Outstanding (51 services), with a further 70% (142 services) being rated as Good, according to the report.
Commenting on the CQC report, Jonathan Ellis, Director of Policy and Advocacy, at national hospice and palliative care charity Hospice UK, said:
“We are delighted that more than nine in ten hospices have been rated good or outstanding by the Care Quality Commission, highlighting the remarkably high standard of care they provide. It reflects the expertise, passion and commitment of hospice staff and volunteers and the strong leadership and positive work culture within the sector.
“With its holistic, highly caring approach, hospice care can be transformative for dying people and their families, however we know there is no room for complacency and delivering good or outstanding care is an ongoing process.
“At a time when there is growing public concern about the quality of care that people receive in the health and social care system, hospices are demonstrating that it is possible to deliver expert care with compassion. Many hospices are working in partnership with other local services to help make sure that everybody gets the care they deserve and need, wherever they may be cared for.”
The full report is available on the CQC website
Notes to Editor:
- Hospice UK is the national charity for hospice and palliative care. We support and champion the work of 220 hospices across the UK, campaign for access to good end of life care for everyone and encourage open conversations about death and dying.
- Hospice UK leads the Dying Matters campaign which aims to help people talk more openly about dying, death and bereavement, and to make plans for the end of life.
- For information about hospice and palliative care visit our website www.hospiceuk.org or follow us on Twitter @hospiceuk
- For information about Dying Matters visit http://www.dyingmatters.org/ or follow us on Twitter @DyingMatters
- Get all the latest news from the hospice and palliative care sector, as well as patient stories, on ehospice UK at: www.ehospice.com/uk This service is managed by Hospice UK.
Please contact Suzanne Stevenson, Head of Media and PR, on 020 7520 8296 or by email at email@example.com. For out of hours media enquiries please call 07881 940 318.