"The programme allowed me valuable space to reflect on my leadership skills in a supportive environment of enquiry. It led me to critically think about approaches and gave me further confidence to explore new ways to approach strategic decision making. The facilitation was expert and really helped to deepen understanding. I have shared many aspects with the team here and I definitely feel I have changed for the better after the course."
Colin Twomey, Nursing Director, St Wilfrid’s Hospice, Eastbourne
The landscape for hospice leaders is complex and challenging. The majority of hospices have seen their statutory funding remain static or even fall. The demand for end of life care is predicted to increase significantly in future. The NHS and local authorities are urging local leaders to develop end of life care systems that are integrated, accessible, systematic and responsive to the needs of the dying, their loved ones and the bereaved.
This programme acknowledges this landscape and works to create the environment where a mixed group of hospice leaders can shape their response to these challenges, developing a coherent story about the role of hospices in the future, improving their capacity to develop new systems of care and their ability to lead complex change. Since launching in 2016, the programme has been highly evaluated by over 70 hospice leaders.
This year, following positive feedback about the value of developing strong relationships with fellow participants in an environment that allows for relaxed learning, we have switched to a residential setting.
For more information download the Strategic Leadership Programme brochure.
What does the programme offer you?
The Strategic Leadership Programme will:
- enable you to clarify the role of hospices in the emerging world of integrated and devolved health and care systems.
- equip you to forge new strategic partnerships and to work collaboratively in creating new systems of care.
- enable you to hone your personal leadership skills to effectively engage others in improving care.
- strengthen your capacity to make change happen.
- become part of a leadership community and wider network with the shared knowledge and skills to develop the local and national end of life landscape.
This is a bespoke programme created by Hospice UK and The Westcott Group. The Westcott Group is a team of highly experienced consultants who combine extensive experience of leadership development, exceptional expertise in developing personal effectiveness and deep understanding of end of life care policy. All have worked extensively with healthcare leaders, organisations and systems.
Who should participate?
Hospice leaders with the desire and energy to make change happen. This includes chief executives, senior managers and those who head up service delivery. The programme is only open to members of Hospice UK.
This is an eight-day programme delivered in three intensive residential modules
||30 April – 2 May,
4 June – 6 June,
9 and 10 July 2018
Module one and two:
Day one: 9.15 – 6pm;
Day two: 8.30 – 5.30pm (group dinner at 7.30pm);
Day three: 9am - 4.30pm
Day one: 9.15am – 6pm, (group dinner at 7.30pm);
Day two: 8.30 – 4.30pm
Full details: Strategic Leadership Programme Brochure
| £1,950 excluding VAT (Total £2,340)
||This programme is only open to members of Hospice UK.
The price includes bed and breakfast on five nights plus all programme materials, lunch and refreshments on all eight days, and three group dinners with the Westcott Group facilitators.
Your course fee includes five nights accommodation at Conference Aston, Birmingham on 30 April, 1 May, 4 June, 5 June and 9 July. This is for a single room and breakfast is included.
Additional nights accommodation
If you’d like to book accommodation for the night before each module (‘night-prior’), there are a limited number of single or double (for single occupancy) rooms available. It is not possible to choose a room type.
To secure additional nights accommodation, contact Amber Morgan at least 4 weeks in advance (of the start of the Module).
- The cost of the additional nights accommodation is £99 (single) or £109 (double for single occupancy) per room per night.
- We will try to secure accommodation on your behalf but cannot guarantee its availability. Let us know your requirements as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
- Bookings can only be cancelled up to 15 days before check-in without incurring charges. No refunds will be due from 14 days before check-in. The cut-off dates for booking additional rooms can be found in the Strategic Leadership Programme brochure.
Contact Jean Hindmarch Projects Director at Hospice UK for more information about the content of the programme, or Amber Morgan Programmes Coordinator for accommodation bookings or other queries.
Cancellation and substitution policy
The Strategic Leadership Programme is an eight-day residential programme and by registering you will be signing up to attend all eight days and five overnight stays. It is important that you are able to commit to attending all eight days to fully benefit from the programme.
- Cancellations made on or before Thursday 29 March 2018 will incur a £250 charge.
- No refunds will be available for cancellations made on or after Thursday 29 March 2018.
- If you have booked a place you may substitute another person to the programme before Thursday 12 April 2018 at no charge; however the person joining the programme must be of an appropriate level and position, and will be expected to attend all eight days and five overnight stays of the programme.
- It will not be possible to make substitutions after Friday 13 April.
- No refunds will be available for participants who are unable to attend one or more days of the programme.
- Room bookings (including night prior bookings) can only be cancelled up to 15 days before check-in without incurring charges. No refunds will be due from 14 days before check-in.
The full cancellation and substitution policy is available to download.