Hospice UK today announces the appointment of Carole Walford as its new Chief Clinical Officer.
Carole will lead the clinical work-streams of Hospice UK’s new five-year strategy and also provide clinical leadership, support and direction for the wider hospice sector.
She will join the national hospice care charity from Weldmar Hospicecare where she has been Director of Education since 2010.
Carole was previously a trustee at Hospice UK after being elected in 2014 and earlier this month stepped down from the role.
A trained nurse and teacher, Carole has more than 25 years’ experience working in palliative and end of life care and has lectured in palliative nursing at The Royal Marsden and also King’s College, London.
Her previous roles include: working with the then five London Cancer Networks to implement an eight-strand programme supporting the development of the cancer and end of life care workforce and also with Macmillan Cancer Support, meeting the educational and learning needs of Clinical Nurse Specialists and Allied Healthcare Professionals across the UK.
Carole will join Hospice UK in May.
Commenting on her new appointment Carole said:
“I am delighted to be joining Hospice UK and to have the opportunity to lead its well respected clinical team at this exciting time of growth and transformation for the charity.
“I look forward to leading the clinical strand of Hospice UK’s new five year strategy, where collaboration will be key to achieving our vision to open up hospice care to everyone who needs it.
“The hospice sector alone cannot meet all the additional and growing future demands for hospice care. I believe that through strong and sustainable partnerships with other care providers we can ensure that many more people with life-limiting conditions receive the high quality support they need and deserve.”
Tracey Bleakley, Chief Executive of Hospice UK, added:
“We are delighted that Carole will be joining our senior management team.
“She has a wealth of expertise in palliative and end of life care and her skills and experience will be instrumental in enabling us to achieve our vision to extend the reach of hospice care and transform end of life care across all settings“.
Last week Hospice UK announced that Claire Henry MBE, current Chief Executive of NCPC, will be joining Hospice UK’s clinical team as Director of Improvement and Transformation in June this year.
Claire will lead a Transformation Improvement Plan, identifying gaps and opportunities to support the delivery of person-centred care for people with life-limiting conditions across the whole care system.
Notes to editors
- A photo of Carole Walford is available on request.
- Hospice UK is the national charity for hospice care and the only membership body for organisations providing hospice care. We support and champion the work of more than 200 of these organisations across the UK.
- Hospices, and other organisations which provide hospice care, offer vital care for people with terminal or life-limiting conditions and also support their families and carers.
- For further information about hospice care visit our website www.hospiceuk.org or follow us on Twitter @hospiceukPA.
- Get all the latest news from the hospice and palliative care sector, as well as patient stories, on ehospice UK at: www.ehospice.com/uk This service is managed by Hospice UK. You can also follow ehospice news on Twitter at @ehospicenews
Please contact Suzanne Stevenson on 020 7520 8296 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For out of hours media enquiries please call 07881 940 318.