If you use this website you will be deemed to accept the terms and conditions below.
In these Terms and Conditions, the following definitions apply:
- Hospice UK is a company limited by guarantee in England & Wales (Company No 2751549) and a registered charity (in England and Wales Charity No 1014851 and in Scotland Charity No SC041112) Hospice UK’s registered office is at 34-44 Britannia Street, London WC1X 9JG UK. Hospice UK’s VAT number is 731 304476.
- ‘Material’ or ‘Materials’ means all of the information, data, text, graphics, links or computer code published on, contained in or available on the Website.
- ‘Service’ or ‘Services’ means any information and/or services accessible through or via the Website irrespective of the Originator or provider.
- ‘Originator’ means an individual, firm, company, organisation or any other entity (other than Hospice UK) responsible for providing Uploaded Content (and an Originator is also a User); note in relation to Hospice IQ this will generally be a member of Hospice UK.
- ‘Uploaded Content’ is any Material which is uploaded by any Originator third party User to any part of the Website.
- 'User’ means an individual, firm, company, organisation or any other entity which obtains access to this Website for any purpose (including but not limited to uploading content, viewing content, placing an order for goods or services; making postings to any forums).
- ‘Website’ means any website under the ownership or control of Hospice UK from which a link has been created to these Terms and Conditions.
Any headings used throughout these Terms and Conditions are for ease of reference only and shall not affect their interpretation.
Ownership of Website
Hospice UK is the owner of the Website. We reserve the right to amend these Terms and Conditions at any time and if we do so we will post notice of the change on the Website by updating the text of this page and you will be deemed to have accepted such changes.
Certain parts of the Material and Services made available through or via the Website may have additional terms and conditions applicable to them (for instance the rules of any Website forums or any password protected parts of the Website).
General provisions as to use of the Website
Access to the Website and use of the viewing and/or use of the Material by any User is on the basis that:
- It is for information purposes only and for personal (if an individual) or internal (if on behalf of an organisation) use only. It is not for reproduction on any other website or for commercial gain (see also 'Copyright' below) without the prior written permission of Hospice UK and/or the copyright owner and/or the Originator. Note this means that a User must obtain such a permission for use for any training or promotional purposes.
- It is only for lawful purposes, and in a manner which does not infringe the rights of, or restrict or inhibit the use and enjoyment of the Website by, any third party.
- The Material is used in a way which ensures no part is copied, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means (including but not limited to electronic, mechanical, printed or recorded) to any third party if to do so would contravene any copyright, database right or any other intellectual property.
- If using the Website by providing Uploaded Content or posting to any part of the Website (including but not limited to any forum) the Originator and/or User ensures that any Uploaded Content or posting is accurate, safe, fair, up to date, not in contravention of any legislation or regulation (including but not limited to any law dealing with any aspect of discrimination, obscenity or the provocation of violence, hatred or offence) and is not otherwise wilfully calculated to offend or mislead.
By using the Website and any forums the User acknowledges and accepts that there may be an exposure to offensive or inappropriate Material (see also 'Forums' below). If the User becomes aware of any breach of these terms and conditions and/or any forum rules, please inform Hospice UK immediately by contacting email@example.com.
- Participation in any forum constitutes acceptance by the User of these terms and conditions and any specific forum rules. Hospice UK may, without prior warning and at its sole discretion, delete or bar postings or submissions which fail to comply with these terms and conditions and/or any forum rules and/or which Hospice UK considers to be offensive or inappropriate.
- Please be aware that Hospice UK cannot control the actions of forum users, nor can it monitor forums continuously, and in addition to the 'Disclaimer' and 'Limitations of liability', set out below, Hospice UK is not liable for any use of a forum in contravention of the these terms and conditions nor for any inappropriate or offensive material posted by forum users.
- The Website is intended to be a platform for sharing information and resources. Not all Uploaded Content is owned by Hospice UK and as such its ownership (in particular any 'Copyright') remains with the Originator (or the person or entity giving permission for uploading).
- If the Originator is not the copyright owner, it is the responsibility of the Originator to obtain copyright and any other necessary clearance for use of any Uploaded Content.
- Users must not infringe any rights of the owner of Uploaded Content. If a User has any queries with regard to Uploaded Content the Originator should be contacted.
- When providing Uploaded Content the Originator must give his/her/its identity it is a strong recommendation that both the identity of the copyright owner and the date of creation of the Uploaded Content is also given.
- Hospice UK will review all Uploaded Content before it is published to the Website and reserves the right to change the name and/or description of any Material and will generally do so if this helps make it easier to search and identify.
- All Uploaded Content is published in good faith. In addition to the 'Disclaimer' and 'Limitation of liability', set out below, Hospice UK makes no representation, express or implied, as to the accuracy or currency of Uploaded Content nor does it accept any responsibility for it.
- The views in Uploaded Content may not be those of Hospice UK. Nothing in Uploaded Content carries any recommendation or endorsement by Hospice UK. It is the User’s responsibility to note the date of any Uploaded Content and if this is not apparent to check directly with the Originator.
- Practice changes and evolves over time and it is the User’s sole responsibility to check that any Uploaded Content on which the User wishes to rely in any way is up to date.
Hospice UK may refuse to publish or may delete any Uploaded Content which fails to comply with these terms and conditions and/or which Hospice UK considers to be offensive or inappropriate. Persistent uploading of content by any Originator which has to be rejected or deleted by Hospice UK under this provision will result in Hospice UK, at its sole discretion, barring that Originator from providing any Uploaded Content irrespective of its nature.
- The Website is intended to provide information which is general in nature only. As such, none of the Material should be considered as a substitute for specific advice being obtained by the User for specific situations. In particular Users should seek appropriate advice before taking or refraining from taking any action in reliance on any information or other Material contained in the Website, and it is the User’s sole responsibility to satisfy itself, prior to using the information and/or Material in any way, of its suitability for the User’s purposes. With regard to Material which is Uploaded Content, the disclaimer at 5.6 of these terms and conditions also applies.
- So far as permitted by law, Hospice UK does not accept any liability to any person or organisation relating to the use of the Material, including but not limited to any advertising (see also 'Limitation of liability', below).
- Every precaution is taken by Hospice UK to ensure that the content of the Website is accurate, legally correct and ethical but Hospice UK cannot be held responsible for any action (or lack or omission of an action) taken by any person or organisation (wherever that person or organisation resides, operates from or is otherwise based) in respect of the Material or any part of it contained in or to which access is obtained via the Website.
- It is acknowledged by the User that while every proportionate and appropriate step (with specific requirements as regards Uploaded Content, see generally the 'Uploaded content' section of these terms and conditions) has been taken to ensure that Material on the Website is accurate at the time it originates, it may not be completely up to date.
See also the specific disclaimers at 'Forums' bullet two, 'Third party website' and 'Viruses and errors' of these terms and conditions, and the 'Limitation of liability' section.
- Copyright in the Material on the Website (that of information, data, text, graphics, links or computer codes which are published on, contained in or available in the Website) is either owned by Hospice UK or as disclosed by the Originator of Uploaded Content. Use of the Material must comply with these terms and conditions (see 'General provisions as to use of the Website') unless Hospice UK or (where applicable) the copyright owner(s) agree(s) otherwise.
- Note that all Material which takes the form, or is in the nature, of a database attracts database rights which are protected in the same way as copyright.
The name and any logo of Hospice UK on the Website are trade names, service marks or trade marks of Hospice UK and may not be used without the prior written consent of Hospice UK.
This website has been designed to be accessible to all web users, irrespective of individual abilities and browser type. This statement gives information about accessibility features, and levels of conformance to industry standards.
Access keys are keyboard shortcuts that provide links to important areas of the site. Windows users can press ALT + an access key, followed by RETURN for those using Microsoft Internet Explorer. Apple Macintosh users can press CONTROL + an access key.
Please note that these features are not supported by all browsers.
The text on this website has been styled using a non-fixed value in a style sheet. This means that users can easily change the text size using their browser settings. To do this, go to the 'View' menu of your internet browser, select 'Text Size', then change it from the default size of 'Medium' to the size that suits your needs.
Accessing downloadable documents such as reports and committee papers. A number of documents are available for download from this website.
To view PDF files you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader software installed on your computer. This software is available free of charge from the Adobe website. Users with visual impairments who make use of text to speech software may encounter problems when using PDF files.
The access.adobe.com website provides tools and information to help make Adobe PDF files accessible to users with visual disabilities.
Third party websites
The Website contains links to websites operated by parties other than Hospice UK and which are not under the control of, and are not maintained by, Hospice UK.
Hospice UK includes these links to provide the User with access to information and services that it may find useful and/or interesting. Advertising and Uploaded Content will also contain links to third party websites. Hospice UK does not endorse and is not responsible for the content or any aspect of these third party websites and/or pages or for anything provided by them.
If the User has any concerns about the content or any aspect of any linked third party website or any website purporting to associate itself with Hospice UK please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Viruses and errors
Whilst Hospice UK makes all reasonable and proportionate attempts to exclude viruses from the Website it cannot ensure or guarantee such exclusion and no liability is accepted for damage caused through the downloading of viruses. In particular Hospice UK does not warrant:
- that the functions contained in this Website will be uninterrupted or error free, or
- that defects will be detected, or
- that this Website or the server that makes it available are free of viruses, or bugs, or
- that this Website represents the full functionality, accuracy and reliability of the Material, or
That Uploaded Content is virus free and the User is strongly recommended to take all appropriate safeguards before downloading Material from the Website.
Although the Website uses encryption security software where on line payment details are accepted and/or registration details are given, the security of information and payments transmitted via the internet cannot be guaranteed.
Any loss incurred or sustained by any User who transmits information by means of email or other internet links shall be borne solely and exclusively by such User (unless the applicable prevailing law directs otherwise) and in no event shall any such loss be born in whole or part by Hospice UK or its employees or agents.
Limitation of liability
Without affecting the statutory rights of purchasers of any goods or products, or any specific terms and conditions of sale, the User agrees that where applicable its use of the Service(s) is on an ‘as is’ and ‘as available’ basis, whether express or implied or statutory.
In no event shall Hospice UK be liable for the following, however framed in law:
- any indirect, punitive, special, incidental, or consequential damage including (but not limited to) damages for loss of use, data or profits arising out of, or in any way connected with the use or performance of, the Website; or
- interruptions or delays to the Website; or
- [provision of or failure to provide Service(s); or
- any information, goods and services obtained through the Website or otherwise arising out of the use of the Website and/or the Material, and specific reference is made to 'Encryption', above.
- Hospice UK shall not be held in breach of its obligations, nor liable to the User for any loss or damage which may be suffered by it or any other person or organisation, for any cause beyond Hospice UK’s reasonable control. This includes (but is not limited to) any act of God, fire, storm, flood, lightening, disease, strike, trade dispute, act of terrorism, any act or omission of government or regulatory bodies or of communications operators.
Warranty and indemnity
The User warrants to Hospice UK that it will not use the Website, the Material (or any part of it) for any purpose that:
- is in contravention of any applicable law or regulation;
- is in a manner that will infringe the copyright, trademarks, service marks or any other intellectual property rights of Hospice UK or of third parties;
- will violate the privacy or other personal rights of any other person or organisation;
- is in any way defamatory, obscene, threatening or abusive;
- otherwise is in contravention of these terms and conditions.
Hospice UK reserves the absolute right to bar Users from the Website, to report any misuse of the Website to the relevant authorities (wherever situated) and, where appropriate, to take legal action in respect of any infringement or breach of the terms and conditions of use of the Website.
To the fullest extent permitted by law, the User indemnifies Hospice UK, its employees and agents, against all claims, liability, losses, damages and expenses including (without limitation) legal fees and costs arising out of, or incurred as a result of, any claims made, or litigation brought, against Hospice UK, its employees and agents, as a result of the use by the User of the Website and/or the Material, for whatever purpose.
- If any provisions of these Terms and Conditions are held to be invalid or unenforceable, the validity or enforceability of the remaining provisions shall not be affected.
- These Terms and Conditions constitute the entire agreement between Hospice UK and the User and supersede all other (prior or contemporaneous) communications and proposals, whether electronic or written, between the User and Hospice UK.
- Any failure of Hospice UK to exercise or enforce any of its rights under these Terms and Conditions shall not be deemed to be a waiver of any such rights or operate so as to bar the subsequent exercise or enforcement or any such rights.
If these Terms and Conditions are not accepted in full, the use of this Website must be terminated immediately.
Governing law and jurisdiction
The Terms and Conditions shall be governed and interpreted in accordance with English Law and the User consents to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
If you have any enquiries or complaints then please address them to:
Data Protection Officer
34-44 Britannia Street
Tel: 020 7520 8200