Find out more about our governance
Our Board of Trustees is responsible for the strategic direction and governance of the charity, ensuring we fulfil our objectives and adhere to our philosophy and values. The Advisory Council, advises the Hospice UK board and senior team on key issues and priorities relating to hospices.
Board of Trustees
It does this by making sure that Hospice UK operates in a manner that:
- Lets us fulfil the objectives set out in our constitution.
- Uses assets and resources for charitable purposes.
- Acts in the interests of its members.
- Gives due attention to charitable and company law.
- Adheres to the organisation’s philosophy and values.
- Upholds the reputation of the organisation.
How the board works
Two-thirds of our trustees are elected from within and by members, with the remainder being co-opted primarily for their specialist knowledge and skills (the number of co-opted trustees is not to exceed one third of the total number of trustees).
The chair of the Advisory Council and Forum of Hospice Chairmen also have a place on the board.
The role of trustee of Hospice UK is voluntary and trustees do not receive any remuneration for their services on the Board.
The term of office for each elected trustee is four years, with a maximum of two consecutive terms. Email us if you would like to find out more about the governance of Hospice UK.
- Chair - Paul Jennings, Chief Executive Officer, Birmingham & Solihull CCG / BSol ICS Lead
- Deputy Chair - Tony Collins, CEO of Saint Michael's Hospice
- Emma Reynolds - Co-opted
- Kate Tompkins, Chair, Dorothy House Hospice Care – elected, first term of office ending in 2021
- Dr Mike Miller, Trustee, Naomi House and Jacksplace Hospices - elected, first term of office ending in 2022
- Stephen Roberts, CEO, North Devon Hospice – elected, second term of office ending in 2025
- Michelle Rollinson, CEO, St Andrew's Hospice - elected, first term of office ending in 2023
- John Knight, CEO, LOROS Hospice - elected, first term of office ending in 2023
- David Smith, CEO, Teesside Hospice - elected, first term of office ending in 2023
- Chloe Chik - Co-opted
- Sharon Allen, CEO, Arthur Rank Hospice - elected, first term of office ending in 2025
Each trustee sits on at least one board committee, and some also sit on the organisation’s expert committees.
We currently have two trustee vacancies on our board of trustees. Please click here to see a letter from our Interim CEO, Craig Duncan, explaining how you can make a nomination.
Anne Duchess of Norfolk CBE (30 August 1927 to 8 April 2013)
- The Rt. Hon. Lord Howard of Lympne, CH, QC
- Ilora Finlay, Baroness Finlay of Llandaff
- Robert Peston
- Martyn Lewis
- Mick Thorpe
- Hugh Scurfield
- Professor David Clark
Our members play a key role in setting the agenda for our work. One of the ways they do this is through the Advisory Council, which advises the Hospice UK board and senior team on key issues and priorities relating to hospice philosophy, policy, practice and professional development.
The Advisory Council is made up of elected representatives who are part of the network through which we communicate with our members.
Representatives are elected by members on the following basis:
- One representative from each of the regions in England.
- One representative for each of Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales.
- One representative for all members providing services for children (including combined adult and children's hospices).
Representatives are elected for an initial four-year term, and can be re-elected for a further four years before they have to stand down for at least one year.
Current Advisory Council representatives
- Chair: Tony Collins - Chief Executive, St Michael's Hospice, Harrogate
- Children: Toby Porter - CEO, Acorns Children's Hospice
- East Midlands: Hayley Wardle - Director of Quality and Patient Care, Ashgate Hospicecare
- East of England: Liz Searle - Chief Executive, Keech Hospice, Luton
- London: Alpana Malde - Chief Executive, St Luke's Hospice, Harrow & Brent
- North East: Mike Thornicroft - Chief Executive, Tynedale Hospice
- North West: Val Stangoe - Chief Executive, St Mary's Hospice, Ulverston
- Northern Ireland: Donall Henderson, Chief Executive, Foyle Hospice
- Scotland: Kenny Steele - Chief Executive, Highland Hospice
- South Central: Stewart Marks - Chief Executive, Rennie Grove Hospice Care
- South East: Helen Bennett - Chief Executive, Pilgrims Hospices
- South West: Steve Statham - Chief Executive, St Luke’s Hospice – Plymouth
- Wales: Grant Usmar - CEO, Hospice of the Valleys
- West Midlands: Elizabeth Hancock - Chief Executive, Mary Ann Evans Hospice
- Yorkshire and Humberside: Kerry Jackson - Chief Executive, St Gemma's Hospice
Email us to find out more about the Advisory Council, including meeting dates and how to contact your regional representative.