Helping you to better support your employees who are affected by terminal illness, caring and bereavement.
Terminal illness, caring, and bereavement will affect your employees.
There's an urgent need to provide better support for employees who are affected by terminal illness, caring responsibilities and bereavement.
- 72% of the public believe that people in Britain are uncomfortable discussing death, dying and bereavement;
- Nearly half a million people have given up work over the past 2 years as a result of caring responsibilities;
- 56% would consider leaving their job if their employer did not provide the proper support if someone close to them died.
"Committing to supporting our employees who are affected by terminal illness, caring and bereavement is such an important part of our partnership with Hospice UK. We’ve already started sharing Hospice UK’s resources on these topics, and I am looking forward to exploring what more we can do in the future as part of the Compassionate Employers programme."
Lareena Hilton, Global Head of Brand & CSR, Deutsche Bank
You can make a difference as a Compassionate Employer
Your employees will
- Know where to go for help
- Feel more supported
- Become comfortable talking about terminal illness, caring and bereavement
- Gain confidence and valuable skills
As an employer, you will
- Retain and recruit valued staff
- Build a loyal workforce
- Be known as a great place to work
- Lead the way as a compassionate employer
- A selection of practical guides for employees, line managers and HR teams.
Online members' area
- An online members’ area for all of your employees, containing digital copies of our resources, advice and topical content. You will have unlimited access for all members of staff.
Assessment and recommendations
- You will receive a self-assessment tool, feedback meeting and recommendations to help you become a compassionate employer.
- Two training workshops tailored for your line managers and HR teams, are included as part of the programme. Workshop topics include: ‘Compassionate Employers in your workplace’, ‘Understanding bereavement’, ‘Handling difficult conversations’ and ‘Supporting carers and people with terminal illnesses in the workplace’.
- A dedicated Hospice UK account manager will support you and help you make full use of the Compassionate Employers programme.
- You will be invited to all networking and educational events with the wider compassionate employers community.
- We will recognise your commitment to leading the way as a compassionate employer.
"Supporting our employees’ overall wellbeing is fundamental to our diversity, equity and inclusion strategy.
As part of this, we are committed to ensuring our employees affected by terminal illness, caring responsibilities and bereavement feel wholly supported at all times.
We are pleased to participate in Hospice UK’s Compassionate Employers programme which aims to help employers in improving support for staff during challenging times."
Sarah Boddey, Chief Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Officer, Northern Trust
Is your company already a Compassionate Employer?